top of page
Timber Valuation and Severance


Timber valuation for 2024-2027

The Louisiana Tax Commission has approved new timberland assessments for ad valorem tax purposes for the 2020-2023 tax years. The timber valuation increased in three of the four timberland classes. The new assessments begin with the 2020 tax notices.

2024 Severance Tax Set

The Louisiana Forestry Commission set stumpage values to be used for timber severance tax computations. These values are in effect for Jan. 1, 2024 through Dec. 31, 2024. The sawtimber and chip-n-saw regular severance tax rate is 2 1/4 percent of the sawtimber stumpage value. The pulpwood regular severance tax rate is 5 percent of the stumpage value.


Ad valorem taxes paid by landowners are determined by these assessed values multiplied by the millage rates in each parish. Taxes can differ significantly due to the millage but the assessed values are constant in all parishes. The Louisiana Tax Assessor’s Association and the Louisiana Forestry Association worked closely with the Tax Commission in providing information for the new assessments. If you have questions, please call the LFA office.

For information on the different timber classes click the following link.

Severance Taxes Collected in 2022

Want to know how much in severance taxes were collected in each of Louisiana's 64 parishes in 2021? Click on the button below. Amount of Sawtimber, Pulpwood and Chip-n-Saw are listed, with the total severance taxes collected. Of the total taxes collected, parishes receive 75 percent. The remaining 25 percent goes to the state, and of that, a fourth goes to the Louisiana Department of Agriculture & Forestry, most of which is used for Forest Productivity Program.

bottom of page